Friday, May 16, 2014

Spring bounty

Spring - finally!!  Our cherry & apple trees are just beginning to bloom, the rhubarb is doing fantastic (ate some of that with breakfast this morning!), and the new asparagus bed is on its second year.  Strawberry plants are doing well, chives and wild onions are thriving.  Volunteer radishes are coming up too.  I can't wait to get in and plant the garden, but it will likely be next week, or the week after.  We are fencing in the yard this summer for the munchkin; we took out the existing hedge which gives us additional room for garden space.

Wednesday I tried Morel hunting in one of my favorite places.  Morels are up in various places here in Minnesota, but it was just too early in my spot, I think.  The only fungus I saw was one tiny little inky cap, about 2" tall.  We'll go back a few times over the next couple weeks; hopefully we'll have a bounty like last year! 

I may not have found any Morels, but I did score some early asparagus!  I'd guess about 90% of what we found was too little to be picked, but it's a great spot and we try to go at least once every spring.

Which brings me to this: 
Roasted Asparagus with Goat Feta Cheese & Pecans
















Ingredients:
asparagus
olive oil
lemon juice
garlic granules
sea salt
pepper
goat feta cheese
pecans, roughly chopped

Layer the asparagus on a baking sheet.  Drizzle on a little olive oil & lemon juice.  Season lightly with salt, pepper, and garlic.  Toss on some goat feta cheese and top with pecans.  Roast for 10 minutes at 415F (set the oven somewhere between 400 and 425F).  Remove from oven, drizzle with a little bit more olive oil & lemon juice and serve warm.

It's very easy to eat a lot of this!! :)

Want more recipes?  Purchase Cavemom's Cooking on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment