Sunday, November 16, 2014

Crispy Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies

This one's taken me a few years to get right.  And it's part of the reason I put 20lbs back on - sugar and nut flours will definitely do that! I mean, c'mon, I have to taste test all those batches of cookies for flavor, texture, crispiness, chip-to-batter ratio (okay, I know that last one's stretching it!) and I can't let them go to waste, right?? Haha, go to waste . . . more like go to WAIST! :)

This recipe finally nailed it.  I've learned a few things along the way: the oil portion needs to be a good, hard saturated fat with good flavor.  Unrefined coconut oil and red palm oil have too low of a melting point, and too strong of flavor, so you end up with soft cookies that don't quite taste like cookies. (Red palm oil made the cookies and the napkin they sat on such a bright yellow, my husband nicknamed them "jaundice cookies"!)  Once you find the right fat to use, the cookies must be rolled/pressed thin, to the thickness of the chips or less.  I rendered suet into tallow for this recipe, but I think really good butter would work, too, if you use dairy. 

 
 
Crispy Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
 
Ingredients
2 c blanched almond flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 c tallow (NOT melted)
1/2 c washed raw sugar
1 egg
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
5 oz chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life's Mega Chunks)
 
Combine the tallow and sugar using a pastry blender or food processor until the tallow is down to little pea-sized pieces.  Add in the egg and vanilla, stir until thoroughly mixed.  In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients, then add to the wet mixture and stir until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  The batter should be fairly thick.  Using a small amount, form a ball then flatten to the thickness the chips or less.  Place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350F for 10 - 12 minutes, then let cool for at least 15 minutes.  Makes approximately 18 smaller cookies.
 
Want more recipes?  Purchase Cavemom's Cooking on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment