Saturday, September 21, 2013

Pumpkins + Apples = Pie-gasm!!

In honor of tomorrow being the first day of fall, I felt like making my paleo apple pie.  But with only 4 apples, it was either a trip to the farmer's market (where I'd want to spend way too much!) or get creative.  Then I thought about all the pumpkins I picked up yesterday . . . and an idea was born.  Although if you check Google, it's not exactly a new idea - it was just new to me! :)
 
First I had to bake up one of the pumpkins, let it cool, scrape out the flesh and mash.  I don't care for pureed pumpkin, to me pureeing it (or any squash) changes the flavor a little.  I'm happy with somewhat lumpy cooked pumpkin.  Then I began the process of making two pies into one.
 

Pumpkin Apple Pie
For this one you’ll need 2 recipes out of Volume 1, shared here:

Almond Pie Crust
If you use butter, you may substitute the suet for butter.

1 1/2 c. almond flour or almond meal
1/2 c. arrowroot
1 3/4 Tbsp rendered suet or tallow (I render suet as I need it)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 egg

Sprinkle on:
Maple syrup or honey
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Allspice

Mix ingredients and pat into a pie dish, patting the crust up the sides of the dish.  Save some crust to use as a crumble on top the pie!

Pumpkin Pie Filling:
1 1/2 c. pumpkin, cooked
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. raw honey (heat on low to melt if necessary)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 c. coconut milk

Mix thoroughly, pour 2/3 of the mixture into the pie crust.  Set the rest aside.
 
Apple Pie Filling (this recipe is halved and slightly modified from the original):
4 pie apples, sliced
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
Washed raw sugar or maple syrup to taste
1/8 c. pecans, chopped
 
In a large bowl, combine apple slices, spices, and washed raw sugar or maple syrup.  Let sit a few minutes for the apples to juice up.  If using frozen apples, this will create a lot of juice.  Gently place the coated apples into pie crust on top the pumpkin filling (in order to keep the apple slices from sinking, you may want to place each apple slice individually).  Save the excess spiced apple juice and mix it with the excess pie crust and chopped pecans.

Once the apples slices are placed, pour the remainder of the pumpkin filling on top.   Don't forget the topping!
 
 
 
I baked it for 35 minutes at 350F, and the topping was getting a little dark but the pumpkin filling could have been a little more done.  Next time, I'd wait with the topping, bake the pie for 30 minutes, add the topping, then bake for an additional 20 minutes.  Even if I didn't bake it perfectly with the first go-round, it was still extraordinarily delicious!!


Want more recipes?  Purchase Cavemom's Cooking on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment