Monday, September 16, 2013

What, you don't like Brussels sprouts?

I hear a lot of people don't like Brussels sprouts. Honestly I don't ever remember eating them growing up; I don't think I tasted them until I was an adult.  But I love 'em!!

If you are used to eating a lot of sweet sugary foods, Brussels sprouts will taste more bitter to you.  But I urge you to skip the extra sweetness for a few hours and give this a try.  The parsnips and pecans have a natural sweetness of their own, which blends very well with Brussels sprouts.

This recipe is a great rustic fall side dish:

Brussels sprouts, halved with stems chopped off
Parsnips, sliced thinly
Pecan halves
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Pepper

When slicing the parsnips, don't slice them potato chip thin, but maybe about 1/8" thick or so - too thin and they'll burn. Toss brussel sprouts and parsnips with oil, salt, and pepper and place single layer on a baking sheet. Roast at 450F for 20 minutes. Add pecans, stir, and roast an additional 10 minutes. 

As a side note, if your dog is no stranger to table scraps, please keep them away from the Brussels sprouts, raw or cooked.  I don't know if it's all dogs, or just Cavedog Lola, but her stomach definitely doesn't tolerate them. :)


Want more recipes?  Purchase Cavemom's Cooking on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment