Friday, September 6, 2013

Smells good in here!

Why?  Because I harvested my fresh herbs today!  I got 1 lonely basil plant, about 4 - 5 sage plants, and LOTS of parsley.  I thought about hanging them up to dry, or maybe using the dehydrator, but since dill and rosemary freeze so well, I figured I'd do that instead.

The amount of parsley that grew would last us a very long time, but I didn't actually grow most of it for us; I grew it for Miss Cavedog, Lola.  Earlier this spring she was diagnosed with immune-mediated hemolytic anemia, which you can read about here.  I chose to treat her holistically - parsley is part of her treatment as it is excellent for anemia!  I also have some parsnip-rooted hamburg parsley growing, but I'll wait for awhile yet to harvest that.  It has a milder flavor than regular parsley, which I actually prefer, but I'm growing it for the root crop.

The garden is pretty much done - just a few cucumbers & zucchinis left on the vine, and the two lonely little marrow squashes. I'm still sad the oregano, rosemary, and marjoram didn't make it, but there's always next year! 

Want more recipes?  Purchase Cavemom's Cooking on Etsy.

No comments:

Post a Comment